My mom and I signed up for cake decorating classes at kitchen needs. We learned the star and so I decided to practice it in a shape since that is how I planned to do my cake. Can you tell what this is? Ice cream cone! (I almost wrote cupcake, oh dear)

Another trial, I figured I should try something a little harder since the one I want on the cake is a little more difficult. This one is a sunflower. I turned it, I have no clue why it still came out sideways!

Here I am working on my first real cake. (Cause I have now taken a class on it)

There I am excitedly working on my latest project. I'm so excited to see how it turns out!

Oh there it is, the cute dog!

Okay so I did a little more work than that. You would have no idea how hard it was to get a brown. So I finally got the outline color and was planning to fill him in with it when I realized it was way too thin, so I thickened it, but then the color was way off so I added more coco and coloring and then it ended up with a way bad texture, and didn't taste that good so I start over, not good. So I try to go from the left over yellow, and add coco and a little coloring and what do you know I got the perfect color and it is a little bit too thin. Well I decided not to bother with it and move on, I was a little sick of it. So I get the white stars on which actually you can see the definition, then i get to making the brown stars and I'm frustrated because it wont hold its shape since it was too thin, not to mention I was making the stars way tiny and you are supposed to do them all the same size so they look good. Regardless to say I did vary. But with the thin frosting you cant tell that much and it helped make it look more like shaggy fur, so it was fine that it was all poky instead of starry looking...I guess.

And of course we have to get a picture of me and my art work before I give it to my wonderful neighbors. Who coincidentally happen to have a birthday in like two days, what are the odds that I decided to make this cake for them and then there is a birthday that week! I was having a really hard time keeping my eyes open. Although this picture goes great with what happened right before. I was getting ready to pick up the cake and somehow only got one hand under the cake and the other hand happened to make a nice indent on the side of the cake. And since I'm an idiot and turned all the yellow frosting brown I couldn't just add some frosting to make it smooth again. Luckily I have an ingenious mother who suggested I add the paw prints around the edge to cover it up. :D It is amazing how much you can cover with frosting.

There we go, the eyes are open. I didn't try the cake, but I was told that it was delicious and very moist. SCORE!!! I used a top secret recipe that my wonderful sister Jenny gave me on a great way make moist cakes. I used a vanilla cake and put cheesecake pudding in the center. I wanted to put cream cheese, but I didn't have time to make that.

Yes there are many flaws bu all in all I thought that the decoration turned out pretty swell for an first timer.
1 comment:
Nicely done! Carissa says, "Ahh it's a puppy doggy, I think it's cute."
Post a Comment